Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cyclists = Dicks?

So as you all know I consider myself a cyclist. No I am not a racer, but I am a commuter sometimes, and definitely an enthusiast. I have only got to ride maybe 12 times in 14 weeks (due to injury), I'm 40 lbs over weight, and I smoke. I enjoy my bicycle more than most people can even imagine. I am always happy even when the ride sucks, or I'm tired or bonking. I'm on two wheels and out in the open which equals happy. Knowing this I'm confused as to why people who also ride are such dicks. Not all but there are plenty of you out there to make a blanket statement. 

So on my ride this morning from downtown Fullerton to Anaheim Hills (Monte Vista and Weir Canyon), a hard ride for me, I said hello to everyone. Runners, commuters, racers, everyone. I do this always when I'm on the bike. I have an opinion that if I'm happy doing what I'm doing I should share it and pass it on. I did the whole put a hand as to wave, said morning, even communicated as to which side I would be passing people. I do this always road or mountain. It is a nice gesture, makes riding safer, and may make someones day to let them know others see them and they do exist. I got maybe five return hellos and waves back. Out of about forty attempts. I maybe egotistical but that is a crappy ratio.

Hey Mr/Mrs 45 year old CAT 4 smile when you ride at least announce to others you are gonna pass them. Makes others happy and communication can make sure that all are safe. While I know you are probably at 85% of your max heart rate, focused on make sure you completely exhale every fourth pedal stroke of your left foot so that you do it because you are right foot dominated. A simple fucking wave, or a simple two finger "I am fucking dying here" salute would be nice. Hey you never know a little smile on the ride while you are doing your intense training to the beach and back might make that 300th loss to the 19 year old, whose training consists of 10 miles a day to college and a balanced diet of Carl's Jr. and Taco Bell, a little easier to swallow.

Dear angry commuter, I know that you have to do this. You are eco friendly, lost your car due to the economy, lost your license due to a DUI. I know it sucks because it could be worse, you could not have a bicycle. You have to leave an hour earlier than your friends, it takes you an hour longer to get home. It sucks I get it. Here is a tip, enjoy the fact that you are on a bicycle. You get to be out in the open, see the Egrets in the Santa Ana riverbed, beautiful landscaped yards, and occasionally a really, really attractive person. Hell you might even meet a friend along the way. I say smile, say hello to others, sing a song out loud as you pedal it makes the time go by and makes your trek that much more enjoyable.

All in all a little gesture of happiness could make your day better, make someone else's day better, and you never know might start changing someones opinion of cyclists when they hit the trails with their loved ones for the nice Sunday family outing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment